Are you truly committed to support local farmers? Many people believe they are, but in reality, if you look at your weekly food purchases can you honestly say that at least 10% come from a farm in Connecticut? I bet you're thinking, "how can I do this in the winter?" We tend to think of Connecticut farm goods as red ripe tomatoes, corn on the cob and juicy tree ripened peaches, with a farm stand on every corner, but times have changed! CT farm products are now available year round and even include a good variety of fresh produce.
Ellington Farmers' Market vendors bring a variety of baby greens, lettuce, spinach, kale, carrots, parsnips, shitake mushrooms, apples, and even bean sprouts to the winter market. Our CT farmers also bring a complete line of dairy products, (milk, creams, yogurt, cheeses), eggs, beef, chicken, and pork, all locally raised and natural. Meeting your 10% goal is easy!
Interested in officially joining the CT 10% Campaign? Read on.... and I hope to see you at the market Friday Feb. 7th from 4-6 at the YMCA, 11 Pinney St., Ellington.
CT 10% Campaign - statewide initiative promoting locally grown products.
How to join the CT 10% Campaign?
- Pledge to spend 10% of your personal or business' existing food and gardening dollars locally.
- You will receive scheduled emails with a few simple questions about your local product purchasing.
- We will track your progress, and you will see our progress statewide.
By spending AND tracking 10% of your food and gardening dollars locally, we are able to support a statewide effort to:
- Build the CT local food economy.
- Impact CT jobs in farming, food services and related industries.
- Help sustain vibrant, healthy communities here in CT.
Find more information and take the pledge at: www.buyCTgrown.comCT 10% Campaign is a joint collaboration led by UConn Extension and buyCTgrown.