.

Somers Middle School Dismissed Early Due to Smoke Concern

Fire officials said a malfunctioning heating unit caused smoke in the school's foyer.

Credit: Patch File Photo
Credit: Patch File Photo
Students Mabelle B. Avery Middle School in Somers were dismissed early Monday after firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the front of the school.

The Somers Fire Department responded at 1:37 p.m. to the school after getting a report of smoke in the school's foyer, said Deputy Chief Frank Falcone.

School officials told NBC Connecticut that the students and staff were evacuated to nearby Somers High School and were kept briefly in an auditorium.

They were then dismissed along with the high school students and were able to get back to the middle school to get their belongings, the news station reported.

Falcone told Patch the smoke wasn't anything toxic and it didn't escape beyond the foyer area. He said officials believe it was caused by a malfunctioning heating unit, likely a motor, that overheated.

No one was injured.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »