This article was originally published on the UConn Today Web site on Aug. 13, 2012.
By: Stephanie Reitz
It’s been a busy summer for the movers, and students, faculty, and staff coming back to the Storrs campus will notice new locations for a few familiar services.
UConn officials have been working to update the University’s printed and online campus maps to reflect the changes, and are also spreading the word through social media and other outlets.
Some of the changes now in place around UConn’s Storrs campus include:
- The International Center and Immigration Services, formerly known as the Department of International Services and Programs, has moved to the main level of McMahon Hall; that puts it closer to the Global House Learning Community and McMahon’s new international-themed dining hall. The University of Connecticut American English Language Institute (UCAELI) is also now in McMahon.
- The Department of Student Activities director’s office and the Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) offices have moved to Rooms 307 and 308 in the Student Union. The programs office is also available there to help advise student organizations with event planning.
- Dining Services’ main office has moved to the first floor of the Bishop Center. However, its phone numbers are not changing. The move allowed for a physical reorganization of the department and its various offices.
- Career Services has new offices in both the Student Union and the Wilbur Cross Building. The Department of Career Services: Center for Career Planning and Development can now be found in Room 201 at Wilbur Cross. It focuses on the career development needs of students, and assists with selecting a major and choice of career path. Resume critiques and walk-in counseling are available in this office. The Department of Career Services: Center for Internships and Employer Relations is now in Student Union Room 203. This office helps students obtain internship, co-op, and full-time positions. It also works closely with employers, assisting with their recruitment efforts by providing services such as career fairs, recruiting software, and information sessions. The phone numbers for both centers will be 860-486-3013.
- The Department of Residential Life’s executive offices and director’s office, including Housing Services, have moved to Rome Hall, Building D, lower level.
- Student Affairs Information Technology (SAIT) is now operating from Putnam and Northwest halls. The web and application development teams are located in Putnam, while the customer service, tech support, and systems administration teams are located above the Northwest Dining Hall.
- HuskyTech student technology support has moved to the Gant Complex, also known as the Math Science Building, Room 037e, alongside the UITS Help Center. All regular student tech support services will be available there, and also at a branch location that will be open during the academic semesters on Level 1 of Babbidge Library.
- The Health Education unit of Wellness and Prevention Services has moved to Wilson Hall in South Campus. Its phone number remains the same: 860-486-0791.