On Thursday evening, the Ellington Volunteer Fire Department, Ellington Volunteer Ambulance Corps, DEEP, and the West Hartford Fire Department - as part of the Capitol Region Hazardous Materials Response Team - responded to a hazmat incident at 4 Middle Butcher Rd. in Ellington.
According to Ellington Volunteer Fire Chief Michael Varney, a bottle of an unknown chemical was broken accidentally in the basement of the residence, and this caused the occupants to call for medical assistance.
The EVFD metered and analyzed the home and remaining chemical substance with a variety of equipment and processes. This was done with internal equipment and WHFD specialized metering capabilities.
The end result was the determination that the chemical was an acid, the chemical was dissipated, and home was checked to ensure that it was safe.
All occupants, who had become ill from the incident, were treated and released back into their home.